There are lots of things to do in Door County in the Summer!
Here are 25 of them!
"Be In the Know Before You Go . . .
and When You Get There!™"
Download our Mobile App:Door County On the Go(tm)
Summer is the season! In Door County, this is the busy season - but you can still find exactly what you are looking for: lots of activities and things to do, or peace and quiet! You can have a fun-packed summer in Door County! This trip, try some brand new things in Door County. Whether traveling alone, with a significant other, family or friends, there’s more to do in Door County in the summer than any other time. Sail, go charter fishing, kayak, go on eco-tours, golf, shop, dine outdoors, swim, look for real estate, hike and even just relax!
1. Go Sail Door County! That’s right – and you don’t even have to have a boat! Call Peder at Sail Door County and you can go out on a divine cruise on the Green Bay waters on one of his beautiful sailboats! Read our Review, then call to make a reservation! 920-495-SAIL (7245) And tell Peder we sent ya!
2. Tour Door County by Trolley! Get a grand tour of Door County on an old-fashioned trolley – check out Door County Trolley for lots of fun! The 45 minute tours are informative, fun, and show you show great vistas – bring the camera! They also have a General Tour, Lighthouse Tour a trolley “Ghost Tour, a new Premier Wine Tour, Haunted Pub Crawls, Wine,Spirits & Brew Tours, Beer & Burger Tours and more! Please tell AJ that DoorCountyNavigator.com sent you!
3. Make Your Own Art!
- Head over to Hands-On Art Studio and create your own are – paint ceramics, shorts, glass; make metal sculptures and lots more! Tell Cy we say hi! This is a fabulous spot to create art in metal, glass, ceramics, even throw pots and more. Watch all of our videos in the Trusted Review to see Hands On Studio , 3655 Peninsula Players Rd Fish Creek. Call 920-868-9311
- Stone Silo Studios is a new cool palce for 2017. Next to the Rustry Tractor Breakfast Barn, you can make your own wooden signs. Classes weekly. No experience needed. Great stuff and lots of fun - especially on a rainy day! Trusted Review and video. Find them at Stone Silo Studios , 6216 Hwy 42, Egg Harbor, Call: 920-737-3497
8113 Hwy 57
Baileys Harbor, WI
Door County Kayak Tours
8442 South Highway 42
Fish Creek, WI
Head out on a Catamaran!
Stiletto Sailing Cruises
at South Shore Pier
9993 Hwy 42
Scenic Boat Excursions
Sail Door County
Sister Bay Marina
Shoreline Charters - Scenic Cruises & Boat Rides
Fish Creek Scenic Boat Tours
Next to Fish Creek Marina, near Clark Park
Rent Pontoon Boats, Waverunners™, Sea Doos™ & More
South Shore Pier, Inc.
9993 Water St.
5. Go Para-Sailing! This is terrific fun and a unique way to see Door County from the air! We did it last summer and we will do it again - this is fun! Call Wisconsin Water Wings and make a reservation and be sure to tell Captain Doug and the crew DoorCountyNavigator sent you!,
Wisconsin Water Wings
South Shore Pier
9993 Hwy 42
6. Spend the Day on County I (carlsville & Sturgeon Bay) Yes – you can spend an entire fun day right on County I in Door County! Head towards Carlsville – County I runs east and west. Great fun!
- Stop in Door County Coffee and Tea for some of the best coffee and light lunches around! You can purchase whole bean or ground in up to 75 varieties! And, you can have a nice much in the café!
Door County Coffee & Tea
5773 Hwy 42
- Stop in Pet Expressions for that pet lover in your or that special friend. Hundreds of items from cups to towels, shirts and more with every kind of pet you can think of – very cool shop! It is also attached to a General Store – lots of interesting goodies! This is a fantastic store! Cool for your pets - great gifts!
9922 Water St
Visit Door Peninsula Winery and have your own wine tasting! This is great stuff. Hint: Sample the Sunset Splash - a delight for summer!
Door Peninsula Winery
5806 Hwy 42
Buy the best candles and accessories money can buy at:
Door County Candle Company
5789 Highway 42
Carlsville, WI 54235
Then head east on County I and Go to Simon Creek Vineyard & Winery – fabulous! Sample some great wines - like Untouchable Red - awesome!
Simon Creek Vineyard & Winery
5896 Bochek Road
While you are near Simon Creek, you are close by to Kurtz Corral - go horseback riding - beautiful grounds, and the best palce to ride in Door County. Tell Jimmy we said hi!
5712 Howard Lane
Sturgeon Bay, WI
7. Ridges Sanctuary Ridges Sanctuary! (Nature sanctuary) - Hwy 57, N - 1/2 mile N. of Baileys Harbor A beautiful nature preserve formed by the lake waters. No cars here, just walking. A must see. Take the camera! Beautiful! See our Ridges Sanctuary Video in our Door County Video Gallery under Nature & Historic Sites
8. Nature Walks & Tours What better place than in beautiful Door County?
- The Ridges Sanctuary: (mentioned aboav e- must see) 8270 Highway 57, Baileys Harbor: 920-839-2802. Premiere spot for nature lovers in us all. Gorgeous nature preserve, the ridges of which were formed by the lake waters crashing against the shore. Beautiful plants and flowers. Park and walk. Check out inns or B&Bs in Baileys Harbor.
- The State Parks
- Peninsula State Park, Fish Creek: 920-868-3258. The largest (3776 acres) of the State Parks in Door County. Golf, nature trails, bicycle, hike, camp! Our favorite!
- Newport State Park, 475 County Hwy NP, Ellison Bay: 920-854-2500. 2400-acre wilderness park. With sandy beaches, and lots of Lake Michigan shoreline. Nice park!
- Potawatomi State Park, 3740 Park Dr., Sturgeon Bay: 920-746-2890. Camping, hiking, boating, guided hikes.
- Whitefish Dunes State Park, 3701 Clark Lake Rd., Sturgeon Bay: 920-823-2400. There are original Native American villages within this park (they are actually listed on the National Register of Historic Places). And this park is right near Cave Point, which is a must see! Great half-day outing!
- Rock Island State Park. Washington Island: 920-847-2235. This is remote! Take a boat FROM Washington Island to Rock Island. There are about 40 or so family-type campsites. Hike, swim.
If you want State Park Camping information, click this Camping link!
9. Theater! Great live theater in Door County this summer!
- Peninsula Players Theater: W4351 Peninsula Players Road, Fish Creek: 920-868-3287. The oldest resident summer theater in the U.S. This is magnificent! If you have never been to a production here, you must go. The outdoor theater is covered so you are protected from the elements, but the open-air feeling is great when the sides are open! Comfortable seats too. Get to the theater early, before sunset, get a drink at their outdoor bar, and watch one of the most gorgeous sunsets you have seen, from one of the greatest spots to watch in Door County. And the productions are always fabulous. This is one super experience all around. Do it! Check their schedule (starts around third week in June through October)
- Northern Sky Theater – Fish Creek: 920-854-6117. Very nice open-air theater in Peninsula State Park. Mid-June through September. Take in a show at this musical theater under the stars – you’ll love it. Tell them we sent you!
- TAP: Third Avenue Playhouse always has something good on “TAP!” Check their schedule. Indoors, staged performances.
- Birchcreek Music Performance, Egg Harbor: Wonderful music from steel drums to swing!
- Door Community Auditorium – lots happening here! Check their schedule.
- Door Shakespeare – more great theater right near Baileys Harbor!
10. Music in the Parks - The towns all publish their schedule of music in the parks. Check our Calendar of Events too for more information. Here are some of our favorites: you must go to at least one of these – they are so relaxing and so much fun for all!
- Sturgeon Bay - Wednesdays: "Harmony by the Bay", 7PM, Mid June – Thrd WEek of August
- MONDAY EVENINGS IN EPHRAIM Evenings in Ephraim, free Monday concerts at Harborside Park, 6PM - 8PM, 3rd week of June thru end of August
- Fish Creek – Tuesdays, 2:30- 4:30PM, June 14 – August 16th
- Sister Bay – Wednesdays (and select Saturdays) 6-9PM, Third week of June – almost the end of August
- Egg Harbor – Thursdays, 5PM, Nid-June to mid-August
- Peg Egan Sunset Concert Series, 7PM Sunday nights, #rd week of June to 3rd week of August in Egg Harbor. Details.
11. Horseback Riding - do it - it is beautiful and fun! There are some beautiful trails in Door County, so take advantage at some of these very fine horse-back riding stables. Many have ponies for kids too, like Herb’s Horses. Door County on horseback is quite a treat. Try it!
5712 Howard Lane
12. Biking & Mopeding! Bike or moped your way around Door County! Always be careful – bike Peninsula State Park on state of the art bikes from
Nor-Door Sport & Cyclery
4007 Hwy. 42
They have new power assist electric bikes - check then out!
Edge of Park, Inc. Bike & Moped Rental
P.O. Box 188 at the Park Entrance Rd.
Only palce to rent mopeds on the main peninsula!
13. Mini-Golf and Family Fun Centers! There are several places to mini-golf – but Egg Harbor Fun Park has a ton of additional things as well. Here’s what we think for each!
Egg Harbor Fun Park
7340 Hwy 42
This is a mini-golf, arcade and restaurant that opened in June 2001. And in 2010, they added a state-of-the-art go-karting course! Awesome! We mini-golfed here many times – love it!. They have a huge arcade room which also has redemption games (save tickets to win prizes), and a water fight set up outside, paint ball, zip lining, batting cages, boucne zone for the kids and more. Great pizzas, ice cream and more! Great place! Tell the folks we sent you please!!
Pirate’s Cove Adventure Golf
810 S Bay Shore Dr
This looks spectacular from the road – huge waterfalls, a pirate’s theme with a sunken ship in the lagoon and more! Pirate lore, some pirate facts, and fun golfing! Great place! Mention DoorCountyNavigator.com!
Red Putter Mini-Golf
10404 Water St
14. Charter Fishing Try these charter companies for starters. See our Activities section for more.
Andy’s Silver Strike Charter Fishing
At the Baileys Harbor Municipal Marina
Hooked Up Sportfishing Charters
6512 County C
First Choice Charter
Baileys Harbor Town Marina
Baileys Harbor, WI
15. Rent a Boat! From pontoon boats or kayaks to sail boats, rent them all in Door County!
Nicolet Beach Rentals
On the Beach in Peninsula State Park
10170 Shore Rd
16. Washington Island - Go there - stay there- have fun! Go for the day, or stay! Fun, 20-minute ferry boat ride that you can take from Gills Rock (passengers only, with bikes ok) or from Northport with your car. The ferry boat ride is great fun – you cruise by the islands, Death’s Door, shipwrecks and more. You owe it to yourself to do it! Or stay a night or two on Washington Island!
17. Fine Dining - fine but Door County it is still casual!
- The Waterfront – fabulous dinners, great wine list! Tell JJ or Kris we sent you! This chef is talented!
- Harbor Fish Market & Grille – wonderful, with outdoor waterfront dining! Tell Carl we sent you!
- White Gull Inn – on non-fish boil nights, enjoy candlelight dinners!
- Galileo’s Italian Steakhouse in Egg Harbor – love it!
- Serendipity in Egg Harbor - new in 2017 (where Trio wused to be)
18. Swimming! Swim in or swim out! Go to the YMCAs (Fish Creek and Sturgeon Bay) for indoor swimming or enjoy outside!
1900 Michigan Street
YMCA – Northern Center
3866 Gibraltar Rd
or try some of the beaches (NOTE: beach conditions with the Door County Visitor Bureau) at
- Fish Creek – right in downtown Fish Creek at the park
- Egg Harbor – around back on Hwy G past Shipwrecked and Harbor Park – follow the signs
- Murphy Park in Egg Harbor
- Ephraim Beach in Ephraim (see our September Sundown video filmed at Ephraim Beach!)
- Whitefish Dunes State Park in Sturgeon Bay (beautiful)
19. Door County Fair! Door County Fair! August 2nd - 6th The Fairgrounds are very nicely kept, and this is a fun event especially for kids — there are lots of barns and sheds to see all kinds of interesting things, crafts, animals, and of course rides on the midway! Worth the trip for an old-fashioned county fair! Lots of fun for all! http://www.doorcountyfair.com/
20. Perseid Meteor Showers August 12th This is a once a year phenomenon as the Earth passes through the Perseid meteor belt. You will have to check local listings here for any events. This is supposed to be spectacular! Those who have seen them have been awe-struck! 50 meteors in an hour — how can you miss them?! We think the northeast end of the peninsula (near the Northport Ferry dock, or Newport State Park, are the places to get the best view. Check out the local Resorter Reporter newspaper for up to the minute news if you are here at this time. It is a phenomenon and a true astronomical event! Night of August 12th into the 13th.
21. Aurora Beaurealis - if you can ever catch this “phenomenal” show in Door County, it is awe-inspiring. If you have never seen this magnificent show put on by nature, absolutely free, you have missed something. On a clear night, look to the northern skies and you will see huge curtains of light flashing and flowing across the skies, gently, easily, colorfully. It is a site to behold. In big cities, they are drowned out by light and pollution. In Door County, we have witnessed some superior shows. Lie back on the grass, lie on the hood of your car, open the sunroof on your car and sit back and enjoy. The “northern lights” are a spectacular show! Simply stunning!
22. Take a Carriage Ride! See Ephraim at night on a romantic carriage ride for 10, 20 or 30 minutes (check with John for price). John Mayberry runs a wonderful carriage, and as you clip-clop through historic Ephraim under the moonlight, well, ahhh – it’s just one of the nicest things to do! So. . .do it! Check out John’s site at Mayberry’s Carriages and Sleigh! And tell him that we sent you on the carriage ride of your life!
23. Ellison Bluff Park This is a very cool park that’s really not like a park. You drive into the area just on the south end of Ellison Bay (follow the signs for Ellison Bluffs), park the car, and hike up a walkway to a bluff that over looks the waters of Green Bay. Panoramic views – a nice little trip and a memorable view. Take the camera for sure! Watch our Ellison Bluff video in our video gallery.
24. Town Festivals! Lots of them! See our Calendar for full details, but here are a few you might want to take in: Fyr Bal, 4th of July, Pumpkin Patch etc.
25. Wine Tours! Tell them sent you! This is great fun and here are some of our favorite wineries to tour!
- Door Peninsula Winery
5806 Hwy 42
- Simon Creek Vineyard & Winery
5896 Bochek Road
- Drive in Movie at Skyway Drive In Ephraim! Great fun for the whole family! 1st run movies!
- Zip Line at Gravity Trails, or Lakeshore Adventures
- There are many arts and craft shows, carriage rides, art classes and more happening this Spring. Check our Calendar Of Events for more details.
- THE Farm in Sturgeon Bay - petting zoo and more. Great fun!
- Plum Loco Animal Farm - this is a way cool place for kids! Places to play, lots of animals to see and mroe! Check out our Trusted Review!
- And Lots more: Comedy Club at Carrington Pub & Grill in Egg Harbor (Landmark Resort), Salsa Dancing, Ski-For-Free in Sturgeon Bay! Check our Calendar of Events for everything, and always check What’s Happing this Week in Door County!
Always check with establishments ahead of time to make sure of schedule, cancellations etc.
Things can change without notice.