25 + Things to do in Door County
Spring on up to DoorCounty!
There are lots of things to do in Door County
in the Springtime! Here are 25 of them!
Spring on up to Door Conty!! Springtime is Quiet-time on the Door County Peninsula. Enjoy the peaceful atmosphere the County has to offer, where travelers and residents are all at ease. Though the busy season is just around the corner, this is still a nice time to soak up the County!
1. Enjoy the quiet times, and check out what is happening at Door Community Auditorium in Fish Creek! Always something good happening here!
2. Take a Door County Trolley Tour!Definitely check out seeing Door County by old-fashioned trolley from the Door County Trolley Company! Check their website for specific times and tours – this is a great way to see Door County and to see some vistas you might otherwise miss! Call them now or visit their website: 920-868-1100. They offer a variety of tours, including a creative Lighthouse tour, ghost tours and wine tours and even Progressive Dinner outings! Call AJ and tell him we sent you! This is fun stuff!
3. VISIT THE DOOR COUNTY MARITIME MUSEUM
This is a wonderful museum located in Sturgeon Bay (at the south end of the Steel Bridge, across from Bridgeport Resort). Great little place: Door County Maritime Museum920-854-1844
4. Driving Tours! Ever just wander around the County? Do it – it’s fun to explore the unknown! Have some fun and explore areas you have never explored before! Get in the car and drive around the Peninsula – get lost and discover more. The interior of the peninsula is dotted with art galleries, wineries, and other very cool things, like barns, shacks, rolling fields of grasses and trees, cherry and apple orchards and more. There are so many hidden treasures in Door County, waiting for you to discover! Take your camera, the interior offers some genuine Door County beauty and tranquility.
q Visit Jacksonport and Baileys Harbor on the Quiet Side (the Lake side of the peninsula). We have reviewed some nice inns there as well. Walk along Lake Michigan; visit Whitefish Dunes State Park, Cave Point. Drive, park and walk.
q Drive north from Sturgeon Bay on County B, which you can pick up in downtown Sturgeon Bay, along the water. You can pick up 3rd Avenue at Jefferson and head north – this is B, and turns into Bay Shore Drive. This is a lovely ride, and you will pass some of the very nicest B&Bs and resorts in Door County along the way! Bay Shore Inn, Westwood Shores are some of our favorite resorts! In addition, you will pass Stone Quarry Park, about 5 miles or so north of Jefferson Street – where you can picnic and enjoy gorgeous Door County sunsets without a huge crowd – not too many people know about this one! B will eventually merge with G and you will pop out in Egg Harbor, right by Harbor View Park and Shipwrecked! Take a left to continue north on Hwy 42!
q Take a tour through the center of the peninsula on County A. This is a very nice road that cuts north and south right through the center, from about Jacksonport all the way to Ephraim (going south to north)!
q And, if you are in Egg Harbor and want to head north of Fish Creek, head East on E, then North on A (left at PC Junction and Pen Pub) – you will come out north of Fish Creek – take a right on Hwy 42 and continue north to Ephraim!
q From Egg Harbor, go East on County T (towards Valmy). Take it to Elm, and take a right, then another quick right on Hillside, and a quick left on Lost Lake Road (heading south – and yes, there’s a lake in there!). Nice old barns, open fields, shacks….ahh! Get lost! Take a left on Plum Bottom Rd., and head to Ehler and turn left (north – you’re doing a loop) – you are now on the other side of Lost Lake. At Hillside, take a right now, then a left on Memorial Drive (north) to EE. If you want to go to Baileys Harbor, take a right. Egg Harbor, take a left! This is a nice little 8 – 10 minute drive. Take your time.
q From Baileys Harbor, just keep driving up State Hwy 57. You will pass the Ridges Sanctuary (8270 Hwy 57 – 920-839-2802) signs – a nature preserve of wonderful and rare plant life – you can stroll for a long time and enjoy this magnificent preserve, formed long ago by the effect of the Lake and years of waves, which created the ridges. Stop and enjoy. Don’t forget the camera. Keep heading north on Hwy 57, pass AC Tap (one of the oldest bars in the Peninsula) and you will pop out at the hill in Sister Bay. Take a right and you are at Sister Bay Bowl (north); take a left, and head south.
q Also from Egg Harbor, turn down towards the water right at Greens n Grains and head north on White Cliff road which will put you back on Hwy 42 at Juddville (near Villagio's).
q From Egg Harbor head east on County E all the way to Baileys Harbor – passing Coyote Road House (a classic) and crossing the causeway across Kangaroo Lake.
5. DOOR COUNTY FESTIVAL OF BLOSSOMSDates of event: Late April to early June
County-wide celebration of spring, featuring blossoming daffodils, wildflowers & blossoming cherry and apple orchards. Garden and wildflower hikes, trolley and boat tours, arts and crafts, and lighthouse walks. There are community celebrations every weekend. Sister Bay has an event, Jacksonport has a Maifest (5/24 - 5/25), and there's the 7th Annual Half Marathon May 3rd. Check our Calendar of Events!
6. ANNUAL DOOR COUNTY LIGHTHOUSE FESTIVAL
Dates of Event 6/12/2015 - 6/12/2015
Festival-goaers can choose from 11 different land or water tours. Check the Door County Maritime Museum in Sturgeon Bay for all the details. The lighthouses in Door County are magnificent to see, especially Cana Island (one of the most photographed features of Door County) and Eagle Bluff (in Peninsula State Park). You can try to tour the lighthouses on your own, or there are organized excursions, even by boat, to take in many of these beautiful lighthouses that helped guide many a ship through tough and rough waters. Even if you miss this weekend, be sure to schedule some time to visit a few of Door County’s best if you have an interest in these fascinating structures. They are super to photograph too! Don’t forget the camera or smart phone! Try the Trolley tour (see below)!
7. Stay at a wonderful B&B, Inn or Resort! It’s still quiet and you can still get a beautiful room or suite. There are many beautiful inns in Door County, and we have reviewed quite a few on our website here.
Some of our highly recommended ones include (please make sure to tell them you saw them on DoorCountyNavigator.com - that helps keep the site fresh and viable!). Read our in-person Reviews of all of these places and find exactly what you are looking for! And please, please tell them you found them on DoorCountyNavigator.com! We’re finding great places for you! We have been to and reviewed all of these places!
q In Sturgeon Bay
- The White Lace Inn in Sturgeon Bay: Dennis or Bonnie at 920-743-1105 (Winner of DoorCountyNavigator.com’s User’s Choice Award for Best B&B in Door County, 2003!)
- Reynolds House: Dave at 920-746-9771
- The Chanticleer Guest House: Darrin or Bryon: 920-746-0334
q Egg Harbor
- Cornerstone Suites: talk to Leif: 888-495-3005,
- The Feathered Star (ALLOWS PETS): Sandy, 1-877-743-4066, 920-743-4066
q Fish Creek
- The White Gull Inn: Andy or Jan at 920-868-3517
- Thorp House: Christine at 920-868-2444
- Eagle Harbor Inn: call Natalie: 800-324-5427
- Village Green Lodge: Sue & Steve: 1-888-471-8277
q Baileys Harbor
- Blacksmith Inn on the Shore: Joan or Bryon: 800-769-8619
Other really nice places to stay are: Check re-openings for Spring (where applicable) directly with Inn. See videos of many of these places in our Trusted Reviews or Video Gallery!
- Country House Resort: 800-424-0041 – See Their Video on our Homepage
- Scandinavian Lodge: 920-854-7123, 888-645-6343. Video too!
- Birchwood Lodge: 866-854-7195. Video too!
- Pheasant Park: 920-854-7287 800-392-3921
- Little Sister Resort: 920-854-4013. Video too!
- Coachlite Inn: 920-854-5503
- Nordic Lodge: 920-854-5432
- Open Hearth Lodge: 920-854-4890
- Inn at Little Sister Hill:800-768-6317
- Church Hill Inn: 920-854-4885
- The Landmark: call 800-273-7877
- The Ashbrooke: talk with Fred: 920-868-3113
- The Alpine Resort : 920-868-3000
- The Shallows: 920-868-3458 - See Video on our Homepage!
- Egg Harbor Lodge: 920-868-3115
- Newport Resort: 920-868-9900, 800-468-6160.
- Lull-Abi Inn: 920-868-3135
- Cape Cod Motel: 920-868-3271 OR 1-877-590-0286
- Ephraim Shores Motel and Restaurant: 920-854-2371
- Harbor View Resort: 920-854-2425.
- Somerset Inn and Suites: 920-854-1819
- Park’s Edge Lakeshore Homes & Cottages: 414-481-2654
- Bay Breeze Resort: 920-854-9066
- Westwood Shores in Sturgeon Bay: 920-746-4057
- Bridgeport in Sturgeon Bay: 920-746-9919
- Bay Shore Inn – call Joe and the gang at 800-556-4551
- Baileys Harbor Yacht Club in Baileys Harbor: 920-839-2336
- Kangaroo Lake Resort in Baileys Harbor: 920-839-2341
- Beachfront Inn at Baileys Harbor866-251-0750 OR 920-839-2345
- Homestead Suites in Fish Creek: 800-686-6621 – See Video!
- By-The-Bay Motel in Fish Creek: Mary at 920-868-3456
- Main Street Motel in Fish Creek: Nedra at 920-868-2201
- The Hilltop Inn: Kelly: 888-868-3556
- Findlay’s Holiday Inn (on Washington Island): call Jim: 800-522-5469
We have reviewed many more places too! So read the Trusted Reviews first! Be sure to call first for opening dates! And please tell them we sent you!
8. Cave Point! Must see! While you're in the outdoorsy mood, head over to Cave Point, another very much photographed site in Door County. It's over on the Quiet Side (the Lake Michigan side), near Jacksonport and Whitefish Dunes State Park - head south on Hwy 57 from Bailey's Harbor. This is a bluff of rock overlooking the waters that produce wonderful sprays of splashing waters in spring and summer as the waves crash the rocks below. It’s a beautiful vista – don’t miss it in the springtime! It is quite a place Also see our Cave Point Spring Thaw video and other nature videos in our Video Gallery!
9. Restaurants! Well, you might want to dine out, and the restaurants for the most part are still on the Winter hour schedule. So here are some restaurants that will be open, mostly weekends, some from Thurs – Sun, some opening in early May.
q Alexander’s, Fish Creek – fine dining: 920-868-3532
q The Waterfront, Sister Bay – fine dining: 920-854-5491
q Casey’s Inn Supper Club, Egg Harbor: 920-868-3038
q Hof Restaurant at Alpine Resort, (May – on) Egg Harbor: 920-868-3000
q Harbor Fish Market & Grille, Baileys Harbor: 920-839-9999
q Greenwood Supper Club, Fish Creek at Hwys A and F (open F - Sun) 920-839-2451 (See our Review)
q The Cookery, Fish Creek - 920-868-2372
q Fred & Fuzzy’s Waterfront Bar and Grill: 920-854-6699 (check opening date, usually mid-May)
q Door County Coffee & Tea – café in Carlsville: 920-743-8808
800-366-7947 (we LOVE this place!)
q Coyote Roadhouse, Baileys Harbor at Kangaroo Lake: 920-839-9192
q Viking Grill in Ellison Bay: Say hi to Dan: 920-854-2998 – great place!
q Cooper's Corner in Fish Creek, call 920-868-COOP (2667)
If you are staying in a resort with kitchen facilities and want to dine in, then pick up some food at the wonderful Main Street Market in Egg Harbor, or some gourmet delights at Top Shelf Gourmet and Café in Sister Bay (Country Walk Shops), and a great natural food shop in Egg Harbor, Greens n Grains (and cafe too)!. All awesome places! Tell them we sent you!
10. Tour Door County – like never before!
655 Bay Shore Dr
Rent kayaks, canoes, and more. Sail, take lessons, paddleboat or hydrobike! Very cool!!
11. Visit some bars and talk to the locals. Another good thing about Spring is that it is still slow enough where people have the time to chat and relax – this is a real luxury for all. Visit some local bars, and enjoy the conversation! Some good talking places:
q JJ.s/La Puerta in Sister Bay: 920-854-4513
q Casey's Inn in Egg Harbor, right on Hwy 42: 920-868-3038 (check hours, usually Thurs- Sun in winter/spring)
q Husby's in Sister Bay (an all-round classic and local hang-out), 920-854-2624
q Bayside Tavern in Fish Creek, right on Hwy 42: 920-868-3441 (very local, very cool, very good burgers too!) – one of our favorites!
q Shipwrecked in Egg Harbor, micro-brew, 920-868-3036 (check hours)
q Karley’s Bar on Washington Island: 920-847-2655
q Coyote Roadhouse in Bailey's Harbor, right on Kangaroo Lake, 920-839-9192 (great old roadhouse)
q Sister Bay Bowl, the bar section, right across from Husby's, 920-854-2841
q The Blue Ox in Bailey's Harbor, on Hwy 57, 920-839-2771
q AC Tap in Bailey's Harbor, between Sister Bay and Baileys Harbor 920-839-2426
12. Fishing! If you like fishing, well, you can fish in Door County! Here is what you can expect for more fishing, if you want walleye, salmon, trout and perch! Check to see about license requirements, best times, charters.
q Middle of April: Lots of brown trout fishing going on not far from the Stone Quarry.
End of April: this is rainbow, brown and brook trout season! Catch like crazy all along the shore. Smelt and perch too!
Beginning of May: here come the bass, some walleye. Even the lakes internal to the peninsula (Kangaroo, Europe, and Clarks Lake) have some good fishing now.
End of May: walleye, small mouth bass, jumbo perch, and lake trout – all kinds of fish waiting for you!
NOTE: Check with some of our favorite Charter Fishing organizations for times when they might be heading out for the season – make your plans:
- Andy’s Silver Strike Charter FishingAt the Baileys Harbor Municipal MarinaBaileys Harbor
- Hooked Up Sportfishing Charters
6512 County C
- First Choice Charter
Baileys Harbor Town Marina
Baileys Harbor WI
13. Plan a Family Reunion Or Corporate Retreat!Take a real Spring-Break! You can find inns, homes and resorts that can accommodate a large family for a spring get-away reunion, or if you are in the corporate world, a memorable and inspiring business retreat. There are many resorts that can accommodate groups of just about any size and meet all your needs: Check Newport Resort in Egg Harbor, or Birchwood Lodge in Sister Bay, for example. Plan your memorable event right now! More and more folks are doing this for a wonderful get-together or retreat away from the hustle and bustle – come to Door County! See our Resort and Lodging places that have meeting rooms, etc.
14. SWIM!If you are not staying at an inn with an indoor pool, and you missed the Polar Bear Swim in Jacksonport on January 1st, try the YMCAs
- YMCA1900 Michigan Street
- YMCA – Northern Center
3866 Gibraltar Rd
15. Hike! Hiking in Door County is special andSpring is a wonderful time to hike the county - whether you are just taking a nice long stroll on your own, or taking in the natural wonders and beauty of the State Parks! Walk and enjoy the warming Spring air and tranquil scenery!
State Parks: they are beautiful year-round!
q Whitefish Dunes State Park: 920-823-2400, 3701 Clark Lake Rd, Sturgeon Bay
q Peninsula State Park info: 920-868-3258, in Fish Creek
q Newport State Park: 920-854-2500, 475 County Hwy NP, Ellison Bay
q Potawatomi Park: 920-743-7033, 3740 Park Drive, Sturgeon Bay
Or try Ridges Sanctuary (see video in Video Gallery) in Baileys Harbor: 8270 Hwy 57 – 920-839-2802
16. Museums/Galleries/Do-it-Yourself Art! Springtime is a great time to take in some of the
local museums and galleries. This will get you started:
- Door County Maritime Museum
120 N. Madison Ave
- Door County Historical Museum
18 N 4th Ave
920-743-5809 - This is a great little museum, with very friendly and knowledgeable folks!
- AMO Gallery
- 40 N. 3RD AVE.
Sturgeon Bay, WI 54235
- 40 N. 3RD AVE.
FAX 920-746 8719
PHONE 920-743 2259
Custom framing, great gallery of Door County and national artists
- Hands On Art Studio
3655 Peninsula Players Road
(head west from Hwy 42, about 1 ¾ miles)
17. Get Artistic! Take an art class, or do an art project on your own! Fun for all! Check into these cool places:
□ You can take any number of classes in art at the Peninsula Art School! From photography to ceramics to watercolor painting! Check our their tremendous schedule! And tell them you found them here please!
Peninsula Art School
3906 County Rd F
□ For the Do-It-Yourself Artist in us all! Check out Hands-On Art Studio where you can paint ceramics, glass, metal art, t-shirts! Fun projects for any age. Call them at 920-868-9311. Tell Cy that we sent you, please! Great place!
Hands On Art Studio
3655 Peninsula Players Road
(head west from Hwy 42, about 1 ¾ miles)
18. Search for your Dream Home!If you have always thought about owning your own home, land or cottage (even a business!) in Door County, Spring is a great time to look around and get comfortable with all that is available. And here are some of our favorite real estate agencies to do it with!
- Coldwell Banker - The Real Estate Group7734 Hwy 42 Egg Harbor 920-868-2002
19. Visit a Farm Market, Gourmet or Coffee Shop! There are so many farm markets in Door County, and neat gourmet shops for coffee, fudge and more! Try some of our favorites!
- Door County Coffee and Tea Company! Great shop! And they roast and flavor their own coffee so you can buy many varieties (75) whole bean, or ground. And enjoy their café too! And yes! They have a deal too in the Door Deals™ discount book!
Door County Coffee and Tea
5773 Hwy 42
- Door County Candy – home made gourmet popcorns (caramel, cashew, more) and home made fudge! Some of the best we have ever had! Unique candies!
Copper Kettle Confections
24 N. 3rd Ave
Sturgeon Bay WI
- Door County Deli at Liberty Square - Wine, cheeses, lots more!
7755 Hwy 42
- Double Delites - homemade gelato (Italian ice cream) - as soon as this place opens this spring, get in there!
7818 Hwy 42 (next to Main
FARM MARKETS/Tours AND COOL SHOPS
- Dairy View Country Store – take a tour, and learn how a real dairy farm works!
Dairy View Country Store
5169 County I
- The Shops at Liberty Square7755 Hwy 42
Awesome shops! You will love it – tell them we sent you!
In The Settlement Shops
91106 State Rd 42
AWESOME PIES! Tell Dave we sent you!
20. Luxuriate at a Spa!
Settlement Courtyard Inn and Lavender Spa
9126 State Rd 42
The Spa at Sacred Grounds
10453 Townline Rd
21. In May, The Skyway Drive-In Theatre opens for the season! You MUST make this part of your Door County vacation! This is just an awesome place that we love!
23. Mid – late May, head to the fun parks and enjoy mini-golf, go-karts and a whole lot more! Check out what’s around! Some of our favorites:
- Egg Harbor Fun Park in Egg Harbor – awesome mini-golf, go-carts, arcade, water wars, bounce zone, paint ball and more! Tell Donna and Lee that we sent you! Great place!
- Pirate’s Cove Adventure Golf in Sister Bay – what a fun course, with pirate lore on each hole, and huge waterfall!
- Lakeshore Adventures – fishing, kayaking, dining, boat rentals, jet skis!
24. Golf! We love hitting the 36 holes at Alpine Golf Course in Egg Harbor. Try to play the Blue in your mix of 18 – the 9th hole is spectacular! Take some pics!
25. Take a Trip to Washington Island – If you have never gone before, or haven’t for a while, take a nice day trip to Washington Island. The ferry boat ride is fun for all. Take your car with, from Northport. Passengers and bikes from Gills Rock.
There are many arts and craft shows, carriage rides, art classes and more happening this Spring. Check our Calendar Of Events for more details.