25 + Things to do in Door County
Fall into the Season - in Door County!
Fall into the Season – in Door County! Fall in Door County is special – so make sure you spend some time and come on up. And think about coming up for a mid-week trip – avoid the busy weekends, get some great deals, and truly relax! Here are a few things to help as a guide! And please, please, please tell any and all of these businesses that you found them on DoorCountyNavigator.com – that helps us and them and you!
Be In the Know Before You Go . . . and When You Get There!™ Our suggestion is to spend time reading our Trusted Reviews, and watching the over 180 videos we have produced. We have done the legwork, so you can find the best. Between the professional and accurate reviews, and our videos you can to get some great ideas on where to stay, dine shop and play. And take our mobile app, Door County On the Go™ with you on your tablet or smart phone – all of our reviews and many videos are in the app, as well as many other cool features!
1. Trolley Tour:Hop aboard the Door County Trolley that leaves from Orchard Country, about a half-mile south of Fish Creek! For 45 minutes, AJ and crew will entertain you, and show you some spectacular sites – some panoramas that are breathtaking anytime, but especially in the Fall! This is a must! Check their site for special Fall Getaway Outings! Give AJ a call (and tell him we sent you!) at 920-828-1100. They also run Ghost Tours, Lighthouse Tours, Wine Tours, Culinary Tours, Beer Tours and more. Very cool! We love it and you will too.
2. Make Your Own Art! The Hands-On Art Studio offers a unique blend of gallery and art that you can create. You can paint ceramics, glass, shirts, ornaments, light switch plates, metal art and a lot more. We have done it many times now, and enjoyed each time a lot – the fun is not only in the doing, but also in the keepsake treasure you have created. Release the artist in you – and we are ALL artists! Fabulous fun for all! Create your art this Fall at:
Hands On Art Studio
3655 Peninsula Players Rd
Please tell Cy you read about them on our site!
3. Go Kayaking! Contact Bayshore Outdoor Store and you will have one spectacular time in the fall, seeing Door County like you have never seen it before! This is great fun on a crisp Fall day (or any day!) Also, Door County Kayak Tours offer spectacular tours as well!
4. Zip Line! Check out what Gravity Trails has to offer Baileys Harbor! Zip-lining is great fun! Read our Trusted Review for all they have to offer for some great Fall fun! Also, Egg Harbor Fun Park also added zip lining and battling cages so have fun there too!
5. Animal Farms / Petting Zoos! For the kids in all of us, visit a petting zoo or animal farm! This is great fun, and we have gone to both many times! Feed the goats, see dozens of animals up close, play, enjoy the fresh air! This is a ton of fun! Please tell them we sent you – you will enjoy these farms!
- The Farm
4285 Hwy 57
(4 Miles North of Sturgeon Bay)
6. Winery Tour: While you’re in Door Count, take a winery tour or two! On a cold Fall day, fall into Door Peninsula Winery (in Carlsville), or Simon Creek Winery & Vineyard (in Sturgeon Bay, not far from Door Peninsula Winery) or Red Oak Vineyard (in southern Sturgeon Bay)– spectacular!
7. Driving Tour! Drive around aimlessly - it’s fun! Do a driving tour through the center of the peninsula. Try to stay off Hwy 42 and Hwy 57 for as long as possible - the center is gorgeous with color, hills, and beautiful patches of trees and fields. Take a ride up
8. Festivals! The Fall of course is a great time for the Fall Festivals in Egg Harbor (Pumpkin Patch, October 11th – 12th ) and on Washington Island Cider Pressing & Fall Fest (October 11th-12th ) and 69th Annual Sister Bay Fall Fest (October 17th – 19th). Check our Calendar of Events for more details. The Fests are a delight for all ages – we love Pumpkin Patch in Egg Harbor! HINT: There is now a parking lot up on Church Street in Egg Harbor! Park there early! Download our mobile app that has all the calendars and events in it too!
9. Like beer? Well, you must sit out on the patio on a nice crisp, fall day and have a pumpkin beer at Shipwrecked in
10. Mini-Golf: You can still mini-golf on the weekends, so have a nice cup of coffee and head out to one of four nice courses: Egg Harbor Fun Park (excellent course, with go-karts, Bounce Zone, Paint Ball, and a huge indoor arcade too; click link for video too!), Pirate’s Cove Adventure Golf or Johnson’s Park in Sister Bay (go-karts, golf, batting cages, arcade, and more – video here too), or The Red Putter!
11. Carriage Ride Anyone? Who doesn’t like a carriage ride? Take a romantic carriage ride with John Mayberry! You can find John in Ephraim in the evenings, or catch him at one of the festivals where he does wagon rides, or set one up! You can always call John to set up a carriage ride ahead of time, or at least find out his schedule, at 920-743-2352. We have taken many, many rides aboard his wagons, sleighs (in winter – awesome) and carriages – picture perfect!
12. Spa! Massage! Treat yourself to luxury at the Lavender Spa ~ Fish Creek – from facials, therapeutic body massages, wonderful skin products and more! Or try The Spa at Sacred Grounds in Ephraim Check them out – you will enjoy! We always do! This is one great addition to any Door County vacation!
13. Charter Fishing and Cruises! You can take a fall excursionand catch some salmon! A great family adventure and great for the serious fisherman. Check for special times/outings in Fall - call ahead! Try
- Fish Creek Scenic Boat Tours
Fish Creek – near the Marina/Clark Park
920- 421-4442 - Eric
- Sail Door County
Sister Bay Marina
- Stiletto Sailing Cruises
at South Shore Pier
9993 Hwy 42
- South Shore Pier
9993 Hwy 42
Waverunners, Paddleboats, Pontoon boats
- Wisconsin Water Wings
South Shore Pier
9993 Hwy 42
Parasailing! Video too!
- Shoreline Charters / Scenic Cruises
Departing from Sister Bay Village Marina ($3 off!)
PO Box 946
Sister Bay, WI. 54234
- Andy’s Silver Strike Charter Fishing
At the Baileys Harbor Municipal Marina
- Hooked Up Sportfishing Charters
6512 County C
14. Fresh Pies! Artisan Bread! Well, you’re in the right place for pies – go to Sweetie Pies in Fish Creek for some of the best pies around – lots of varieties. Read our Trusted Review – we love this place! Tell Dave and the gang we sent you! You can watch a short video too in the review section!
And for Artisan bread, head to Egg Harbor behind the Cupola House for MacReady Artisan Bread – just awesome stuff – made right there! Read our Trusted Review and watch video!
15. Horse Back Riding: What better time to take a ride down a beautiful trail on horse back than in the fall, in one of the most beautiful places on earth! Call ahead to check schedules and times they are open, but here are some riding places sure to please:
q Kurtz Corral
5712 Howard Lane
q Ahnapee Ranch
q Field Wood Farm Ltd.
16. Shops! Visit a few key shops for things from holiday items to great clothing, fine art and other unusual things!
Try these shops for sure:
q How about some wonderful clothing?
Wilkins & Olander in Fish Creek and
120 N 3rd
On Deck – this is one fabulous shop for men and women! Actually it’s several fabulous shops! Read our Review for some outstanding clothing! Put this one on your ‘things-to-do list” – you’ll be happy you did. Tell Mitch and the crew DoorCountyNavigator.com says hi!
On Deck Clothing Company
In Downtown Fish Creek
4168 Main St. (Hwy 42)
920-868-9091 x 1
On Deck Clothing Company
At the corner of 3rd and Jefferson
265 North 3rd Avenue
On Deck Clothing Company
Across from the Sister Bay Bowl
10635 N. Bay Shore Drive
Sister Bay, WI 54234
- For your Home:
- Door County Interiors and Design – a fabulous shop for your home – furnishings, accessories, flooring – you name it! And terrific, knowledgeable, friendly folks to help you! Check them out in south Egg harbor. See the shop: watch our video!
- Door County Traders in Sturgeon Bay has a mixture of antique and new but vintage looking pieces – unbelievable shop!
- To Your Health!
Head to Greens N Grains in Egg Harbor for all your healthful, natural eating needs! And now they have a raw foods deli and juice bar which is awesome, and a Green Goods store selling natural fabric clothing. Tell Kathy and the crew we sent you - we love this shop!
- Just fun stuff!
□ Made in Britain – in the Main Street Shops in Egg Harbor – spectacular collection of UK stuff, and delicious spreads, jams (curds) and lots more – from Wales, England, Scotland. Watch our Video and Read our Trusted Review!
□ Double Delites – stop in, in Egg Harbor for authentic Gelato (just like in Italy) – awesome! And gourmet popcorns and candies too!
□ The Dancing Bear – full of fun things for adults and kids – books, puzzles, ceramics and more!
13 N 3rd Av
□ Door County Candy in
17. Art! You are in the right place for art! Take the time to visit the many art galleries in the towns. There are so many high-quality galleries, each is like visiting an art museum. See the festivals too for special showings!
- Beautiful watercolors at Ed Fenendael Watercolor Excitement at 3829 Fairview Road in Bailey's Harbor 920-868-9282.
- Dovetail Gallery – in
great art, wonderful folks (Kathy and Tom), and egg art like you would not believe! Wow! Look for the big Egg mailbox on the west side of Hwy 42, near E! Tell Kathy we said Hi! Egg Harbor
- One of our favorites in Hanseatic Art Gallery in Ephraim. Spectacular work by Karsten Topelmann and his wife Ellen Sprogo-Topelmann. What a team! Call for hours, but you can find them at:
3060 Hwy Q
, AMO Gallery & Framery also has a wonderful collection of art, and Audrey herself is an artist. They do custom framing too, and also sell the Habour House collection of lighthouses and figurines. Tell Audrey DoorCountyNavigator.com sent you! Sturgeon Bay
- Santa Fe Shop in Fish Creek – great collection of glass, jewelry and more!
Check our Gallery page for many other listings.
Be sure to check the line up for Fall Art Festivals, like the Townline Art Fair, October 11th – 12th in Ephraim.
- Museums! See our listings of museums, but try to stop by
18 N 4th Ave
This is such a nice history of
Noble House Museum
Hwy 42 and Spruce St.
18. B&B Anyone? Door County has some of the best B&Bs and B&B-type inns in the Midwest, and probably the entire country. We have reviewed virtually all of these, so check them out! We like every one of them. These are all truly wonderful places – see which one you like best, and call right now to see if you can get a room!
Door County Bluff House in Egg Harbor – great for a large group!
Park’s Edge Lakeshore Homes & Cottages in Ephraim – spectacular homes!
Bay Breeze House and Lodge Rentals in Fish Creek – wonderful!
Other Unique Places to Stay:
A super, completely different motel awaits you at Main Street Motel,
Want a gorgeous cottage in Ephraim? More nice cottages are found at Pioneer Acre Cottages!
Great Cabins! And here are some great cabins, far from the madding crowd: check out Cole’s Rowleys Bay Cabins.
Camping Anyone? The State Parks (like Peninsula) are awesome. So is Rustic Timbers in Egg Harbor, where you can get campsites, or camping cabins! Very cool! Also check out the Frontier Wilderness Campground (video too) and Egg Harbor Campground & RV Resort – Video too! Check out our reviews of these camp grounds!
q Washington Island: Findlay’s Holiday Inn
19. Food & Wine!
Top Shelf Gourmet and Café! Get cozy on a cool Fall day, curl up with a book in front of a fireplace, have some Door County or other wine that you can pick up for Top Shelf Gourmet and Café in Sister Bay – great gourmet items and sandwiches too (Country Walk Shops) – this is a GREAT shop with gourmet cheeses, wines, sauces, and a lot more! Read our Trusted Review! You can even get gourmet sandwiches to go!
WINERIES! Or visit a fine winery too!
RESTAURANTS: Many restaurants are waiting for you as well! Check out our Dining section and also bring our mobile app with you, Door County On the Go™
20. Look for Your Dream Property! Fall and Winter are a good time to take the time to look for that right piece of land, or that right house or condo in Door County. Some of the best real estate agencies and property opportunities are right here, so if you are interested in spend a half a day or so this Fall looking into a dream, check out these fine real estate opportunities:
- Coldwell Banker – The Real Estate Group
7734 Hwy 42
- Coldwell Banker – The Real Estate Group
4086 Main St
30 N 18th Avenue
21. Performing Arts! Take in the last of the Peninsula Players works (Closes October 20th this year) at
Peninsula Players Theatre
Fabulous, on the water, garden theater (bring a sweater in Fall!) – always wonderful performances and just a plain great theater experience. Check with them for schedules and final performances. If you miss the final Fall performance, keep this in mind next summer. Wonderful in the Fall!
See what’s happening at TAP (Third Avenue Playhouse)
22. Go Antiquing! There are many fine antique shops and antique malls in Door County, and Fall is a perfect time for antiquing! We have shopped and purchased antiques from several dealers here, with complete satisfaction. Bay Trading, Olde Orchard and Peninsula Antique center are all indoor “mall” type places – great – lots of treasure. Cornerstone has tons of primitives. So, check out these places! More are listed on our Antiques page!
Bailey's Barn Antiques & Gifts
10079 Hwy 57
The Bay Trading Company
7376 Hwy 42
10002 Hwy 57
(used to be The Red Barn)
10432 Hwy 42
6960 Hwy 42
LaMere House Antiques
6329 Hwy 57
Olde Orchard Antique Mall
7381 Hwy 42
(about 1 mi South of Downtown)
7150 Hwy 42
(South of Downtown)
23. Something for your home? We have found a few really nice, and something special kind of shops in Door County where you can find a treasure or two for your Door County home, or your home-home! Nice to do on a chilly or rainy Fall day. So when you are passing through these towns, stop in and check out these shops of interest, with lots of intriguing things!
□ Hide Side Corner Store
9413 Hwy 42, Fish Creek 54212
(920) 868-2333 Vx
(920) 868-1816 Fx
□ Door County Interiors and Design – a fabulous shop for your home – furnishings, accessories, flooring – you name it! And terrific, knowledgeable, friendly folks to help you! Check them out in south Egg harbor. See the shop: watch our video!
□ Door County Nature Works
7798 Hwy 42 (Granary Shops)
Paint center, floor & wall tile, etc.
24. Eating Out – Restaurants– OK, we have to say something about restaurants. You’re up here in the Fall and you want to know where you might dine and have a very nice meal. Here are a few suggestions where you might find us!
□ Casual Dining
- Fred & Fuzzy’s Waterfront Bar and Grill – awesome setting, on the water – perfect! And part of a great resort, Little Sister Resort. Watch the Video and Read our Trusted Review!
- Door County Creamery in Sister Bay – great homemade cheeses, sandwiches, wine, and goat’s milk gelato! Trusted Review
- Birmingham’s (in Sturgeon Bay) – great burgers in this histories old place.
- Trio in Egg Harbor. If you leave
DoorCounty without dining at the Trio, you are missing out. A great place for dinner. Tell Jerry and Ron that we sent you! Read our Trusted Review!
- While you are in
, also try these favorites of ours: Egg Harbor
□ Casey’s BBQ & Smokehouse – always a treat!
□ Shipwrecked – great craft brewed beers and food! And Pumpkin Beer this fall!
□ Galileo’s Italian Restaurant – at Liberty Square
□ Harbor View Grill – next to Harbor View Park!
- Fun for the kids at PC Junction (at routes A & E)! Video and Trusted Review!
- JJ’s in Jacksonport! Fun, good food!
- Arroyo Bay Grill in Fish Creek
- Pelletier’s in Fish Creek too – get your last minute fish boil in!
- Second Story Restaurant in Ephraim (above Ephraim Shores Motel)
- Gibraltar Grill in Fish Creek – great!
□ Upscale and Fine Dining
- Alexander’s in Fish Creek – fine dining, great food. Trusted Review.
- White Gull Inn – always great – perfect for breakfasts, lunches, candlelit dinners or fish boils.
- The Waterfront – fine dining in Sister Bay
- In Baileys Harbor, fine dining at Harbor Fish Market & Grille! Wonderful!
- Galileo’s Italian Food – awesome! Trusted Review
This is a start – there are lots more things to do! Like Bike, Hike, take a tour by air and a whole lot more! Have a great time this Fall, in