25 Falling for Door County–Fun-For-All Things to Do in Door County!
"Be In the Know Before You Go . . . and When You Get There!™"
Door County Made Easy! Trusted Reviews & Videos. All Door County. All You Need.
Personal. Professional. Accurate. Since 2000
Download our Mobile App: Door County On the Go(tm)
Android and Apple devices
Fall into the Season – in Door County! Fall in Door County is special – so make sure you spend some time and come on up. And think about coming up for a mid-week trip – avoid the busy weekends, get some great deals, and truly relax! Here are a few things to help as a guide! And please, please, please tell any and all of these businesses that you found them on DoorCountyNavigator.com – that helps us and them and you!
Be In the Know Before You Go . . . and When You Get There!™ Our suggestion is to spend time reading our Trusted Reviews, and watching the over 180 videos we have produced. We have done the legwork, so you can find the best. Between the professional and accurate reviews, and our videos you can to get some great ideas on where to stay, dine shop and play. And take our mobile app, Door County On the Go™ with you on your tablet or smart phone – all of our reviews and many videos are in the app, as well as many other cool features!
1. Trolley Tour: Hop aboard the Door County Trolley that leaves from their own station just north of downtown Egg Harbor! For 45 minutes, AJ and crew will entertain you, and show you some spectacular sites – some panoramas that are breathtaking anytime, but especially in the Fall! This is a must! Check their site for special Fall Getaway Outings! Give AJ a call (and tell him we sent you!) at 920-828-1100. They have 11 different tours:
Door County Trolley, Inc. offers 11 themed tours: Narrated Scenic Tour, Premier Wine Tour, Lighthouse Tour, Wine, Spirits & Brew Tour, Ghost Tour of Door County, Haunted Pub Crawl, Bloody Mary & Brunch Tour, Wisconsin Supper Club Tour, Winter Wonderland Tour, Spring Blossom Tour, and new in 2018: Murder & Mayhem Tour, and Family Ride
2. Make Your Own Art! The Hands-On Art Studio offers a unique blend of gallery and art that you can create. You can paint ceramics, glass, shirts, ornaments, light switch plates, metal art and a lot more. We have done it many times now, and enjoyed each time a lot – the fun is not only in the doing, but also in the keepsake treasure you have created. Release the artist in you – and we are ALL artists! Fabulous fun for all! Create your art this Fall at: Hands On Art Studio 3655 Peninsula Players Rd Fish Creek 920-868-9311 Please tell Cy you read about them on our site!
11. Horseback Riding - do it - it is beautiful and fun! There are some beautiful trails in Door County, so take advantage at some of these very fine horse-back riding stables. Many have ponies for kids too, like Herb’s Horses. Door County on horseback is quite a treat. Try it!
5712 Howard Lane
12. Biking & Mopeding! Bike or moped your way around Door County! Always be careful – bike Peninsula State Park on state of the art bikes from
Nor-Door Sport & Cyclery
4007 Hwy. 42
They have new power assist electric bikes - check then out!
Edge of Park, Inc. Bike & Moped Rental
P.O. Box 188 at the Park Entrance Rd.
Only palce to rent mopeds on the main peninsula!
13. Mini-Golf and Family Fun Centers! There are several places to mini-golf – but Egg Harbor Fun Park has a ton of additional things as well. Here’s what we think for each!
Egg Harbor Fun Park
7340 Hwy 42
This is a mini-golf, arcade and restaurant that opened in June 2001. And in 2010, they added a state-of-the-art go-karting course! Awesome! We mini-golfed here many times – love it!. They have a huge arcade room which also has redemption games (save tickets to win prizes), and a water fight set up outside, paint ball, zip lining, batting cages, boucne zone for the kids and more. Great pizzas, ice cream and more! Great place! Tell the folks we sent you please!!
Pirate’s Cove Adventure Golf
810 S Bay Shore Dr
This looks spectacular from the road – huge waterfalls, a pirate’s theme with a sunken ship in the lagoon and more! Pirate lore, some pirate facts, and fun golfing! Great place! Mention DoorCountyNavigator.com!
Red Putter Mini-Golf
10404 Water St
14. Charter Fishing Try these charter companies for starters. See ourActivitiessection for more.
Andy’s Silver Strike Charter Fishing
At the Baileys Harbor Municipal Marina
Hooked Up Sportfishing Charters
6512 County C
First Choice Charter
Baileys Harbor Town Marina
Baileys Harbor, WI
15. Rent a Boat! From pontoon boats or kayaks to sail boats, rent them all in Door County!
Nicolet Beach Rentals
On the Beach in Peninsula State Park
10170 Shore Rd
Sister Bay Boat Rental
Sister Bay Marina
Sister Bay, WI 54234
16. Washington Island - Go there - stay there- have fun! Go for the day, or stay! Fun, 20-minute ferry boat ride that you can take from Gills Rock (passengers only, with bikes ok) or from Northport with your car. The ferry boat ride is great fun – you cruise by the islands, Death’s Door, shipwrecks and more. You owe it to yourself to do it! Or stay a night or two on Washington Island!
17. Fine Dining - fine but Door County it is still casual!
18. Swimming! Swim in or swim out! Go to the YMCAs (Fish Creek and Sturgeon Bay) for indoor swimming or enjoy outside!
1900 Michigan Street
YMCA – Northern Center
3866 Gibraltar Rd
or try some of the beaches (NOTE: beach conditions with the Door County Visitor Bureau) at
19. Door County Fair! Door County Fair! August 1st - 5th The Fairgrounds are very nicely kept, and this is a fun event especially for kids — there are lots of barns and sheds to see all kinds of interesting things, crafts, animals, and of course rides on the midway! Worth the trip for an old-fashioned county fair! Lots of fun for all! http://www.doorcountyfair.com/
20. Perseid Meteor Showers August 11th - 12th This is a once a year phenomenon as the Earth passes through the Perseid meteor belt. You will have to check local listings here for any events. This is supposed to be spectacular! Those who have seen them have been awe-struck! 50 meteors in an hour — how can you miss them?! We think the northeast end of the peninsula (near the Northport Ferry dock, or Newport State Park, are the places to get the best view. Check out the localResorter Reporter newspaper for up to the minute news if you are here at this time. It is a phenomenon and a true astronomical event! Could also be some on the night of the 13th, but plan the 11th and 12th.
21. Aurora Beaurealis - if you can ever catch this “phenomenal” show in Door County, it is awe-inspiring. If you have never seen this magnificent show put on by nature, absolutely free, you have missed something. On a clear night, look to the northern skies and you will see huge curtains of light flashing and flowing across the skies, gently, easily, colorfully. It is a site to behold. In big cities, they are drowned out by light and pollution. In Door County, we have witnessed some superior shows. Lie back on the grass, lie on the hood of your car, open the sunroof on your car and sit back and enjoy. The “northern lights” are a spectacular show! Simply stunning!
22. Take a Carriage Ride! See Ephraim at night on a romantic carriage ride for 10, 20 or 30 minutes (check with John for price). John Mayberry runs a wonderful carriage, and as you clip-clop through historic Ephraim under the moonlight, well, ahhh – it’s just one of the nicest things to do! So. . .do it! Check out John’s site atMayberry’s Carriages and Sleigh! And tell him that we sent you on the carriage ride of your life!
23. Ellison Bluff Park This is a very cool park that’s really not like a park. You drive into the area just on the south end of Ellison Bay (follow the signs for Ellison Bluffs), park the car, and hike up a walkway to a bluff that over looks the waters of Green Bay. Panoramic views – a nice little trip and a memorable view. Take the camera for sure! Watch our Ellison Bluff video in our video gallery.
24. Town Festivals! Lots of them! See our Calendar for full details, but here are a few you might want to take in: Fyr Bal, 4th of July, Pumpkin Patch etc.
25. Wine Tours! Tell them sent you!This is great fun and here are some of our favorite wineries to tour!
Always check with establishments ahead of time to make sure of schedule, cancellations etc.
Things can change without notice.
Self Guided Door County Wine Tour
Your DIY Door County Wine Tour will include a visit to two of Door County’s finest wineries, Door Peninsula Winery in Carlsville and Simon Creek Vineyard in Sturgeon Bay.
These are both “Southern Door” locations so this trip is easily accessible for a short weekend trip year round. We will give you lodging tips, dining tips and other fun things to do that are relevant to this "southern door" tour!
To provide easy access and a comfortable stay consider staying at one of these nearby Sturgeon Bay Properties If you want to venture a little further north consider the quiet laid-back Shallows Resort or the full service Landmark Resort both just south of Egg Harbor and each with stunning sunsets over Green Bay.
Choose the lodging choice that best fits your style, then contact them for availability and rates for the time of year you are travelling.
Door Peninsula Winery
5806 Highway 42
(Corner of County I and Hwy 42)
Arriving mid-day. If you have not yet had lunch consider heading for The Inn at Cedar Crossing in downtown Sturgeon Bay. They have a wide selection of Wisconsin Brewed Beer but will be happy to recommend a Door County wine to go with one of their fine salads, sandwiches or pub specialties. Consistently good for many, many years.
Spend a little time visiting the shops in Sturgeon Bay like Wilkins and Olander then stop for some old fashioned fun at Door County Candy. Dark chocolates pair well with red wine. We suggest trying the Dark Chocolate Door County Cherry and Ginger Bark. Just awesome!
Either before or after you check in to your hotel, resort, B&B or Inn, make your way up to Door Peninsula Winery in Carlsville for a wine tasting.
Door Peninsula Winery also has an extensive olive oil selection and has a distillery (Door County Distillery) making their own vodka, whisky and gin. At the time of this writing their hours are 9 AM to 6 PM daily with tours beginning on the hour between 10 am and 4 pm. Check their website for details. You will love the variety and quality of wines that they produce, with seasonal favorites like Sunset Splash, Hallowine, and many Christmas wines. More than 50 varieties of fruit, white and red grape and sparking wines are made here. And about 150,000 gallons are bottled annually. Razzle Dazzle Raspberry is a huge hit! They have wine tastings for a few dolalrs per person, and that is applied to any pourchase you may make. Their shop is huge and loaded with gormet food items, olive oils, wine accessories and more.
Time permitting take a trip across the road to the Carlsville Shops and pick up some Door County Coffee (they also have light lunch options available). Pick out a custom taper or two from Door County Candle to add a romantic glow to the meal you prepare while enjoying the wine you take home. If you have a furry friend be sure to remember them with a stop at Pet Expressions 0 the hot spot for cool pet gifts!
If you are headed further north up to The Shallows or The Landmark do the wine tasting and tour on your way there, being sure to select a bottle of wine to enjoy while watching the sunset after dinner. Consider dining at Carrington’s Pub & Grill at The Landmark which is easily accessible to either property.
Otherwise head back to Sturgeon Bay and have dinner at Stone Harbor Restaurant & Pub at Stone Harbor Resort, where you can enjoy the sunset either during or after your meal.
Simon Creek Winery
5896 Bochek Road
Sturgeon Bay, Wi
From Hwy 42, turn east on County I and follow the signs. It will be a good 3 miles so watch for signs.
Simon Creek produces about 17 different wines in reds, roses, whites, and desert wines. Great wines like their Untouchabe Red, and their new Untouchable White are terrific. Their American Viognier is a hit, and their Jacksonport is an after dinner favorite. Some really great cabs too. Nice gift shop amidst the wine tasting bar, deck with music in season and more. Terrific find. Tell Lance we sent you. Wine tastings are free for up to a set limit of samples. Retail prices are very reasonable for the quality of their wines. A favorite.
If breakfast is not included with your lodging or available on premises we recommend heading up to the Rusty Tractor for a rustic treat in a converted old barn. We love this place. Ask for the slated caramel stuffed French toast (not on the menu!).
If you are staying at a resort enjoy their pool or other amenities. If you feel more active consider a side trip to the Door County Historical Museum, the Door County Maritime Museum or the Door County Historical Village before heading to Simon Creek Vineyard for an early afternoon wine tour and tasting. You can even go horseback riding at Kurtz Corral whcih is not far from Simon Creek.
Take a ride into Egg Harbor for lunch at Casey’s BBQ & Smokehouse, Shipwrecked or The Bistro Bar &Grill at Liberty Square. Save room for a gelato at Double Delites and take time to peruse the wine selection at Main Street Market to easily find wines from some of Door County’s other vintners, and wines from all over the world. They have hundreds of bottles from Italy, Spain, Austria, and more.
Liberty Square Shops has a very nice variety of Wisconsin Cheeses. See if you can sample the Montimore by Sartori. This is neither a hard nor soft cheese with a creamy texture. You can eat it by itself along with a semi-sweet red or white wine, crumble on a salad or add slices on top of a burger grilled in your backyard. Fabulous.
For those taking a short trip you can end your tour and start heading home. If you’re extending your stay and the DIY Wine Tour is just a part of your Door County adventure then be sure to use DoorCountyNavigator.com to look for other things to do and places to eat. Downloading the mobile app will make all the information you need available at your fingertips. Just search Door County On the Go at Google Play or iTunes App Store.
The idea of the DIY Tour is to give you some structure by providing recommendations that reduce the number of choices you need to make while giving you the flexibility to manage your own time and enjoy your vacation on your own terms.
So feel free to explore. Look for the “Door County Navigator Reviewed sticker on the door of the businesses you visit. Skip something, add something but be sure to let us know what you enjoyed. Take a selfie at any of these locations and post on twitter with #DCNphotocontest to be entered into a drawing to win a Door County Vacation.
Remember to pace yourself and drink responsibly. An alternative to The Door County Navigator DIY Wine Tour is a the Door County Trolley Wine Tour which leaves from their depot just north of Egg Harbor.
DoorCountyNavigator.com is looking for an expereinced commissioned sales rep to call on Door County busiensses to market our services to them to hep them grow their business.
We have a variety of marketing packages avaialble for:
You will earn a substantial one-time commission on any new business that you open, anywhere in Door County!
You can write for our BLOG - we would give you a byline but there is no pay - sorry! The content must be Door County related, interesting, well-written. It is the sole discretion of DoorCountyNavigator.com whether to use submissions or not to use. Any content submitted to DoorCountyNavigator.com must be original content, any photos must be photos you have the license to use or that you own, and all risk is to the writer for such content and photo usage. DoorCountyNavigator.com will have no obligation to research or approve such presumed licenses and originality of the content. This burden is upon the writer and those submitting the article for review.
Whew. Now what do you have?
Thank you for your submission!
We have received your submission and entered you into our monthly Giveaway.
We hope you will come back and play our games again for another change to win. You can enter up to 10 times per day.
You can enter again through our Treasure Map game or through our Scavenger Hunt game.
Staff at DoorCountyNavigator.com
Arrrrg! Have fun playing our new Piratey Scavenger Hunt game (to the right). Win Door County prizes!
When you score at least 80% you are automatically included in the Giveaway! You may enter up to 10 times a day for the remainder of the Giveaway, so increase your chances of winning by entering at least every day!
The more times you play the more entries you can get. By submitting your email address, we will also sign you up for our monthly e-newsletter which is full of great Door County info! You will have an opportunity to opt out of the newsletter, but we think you will love it!
To play again click game title or refresh page. Then you can enter another time and increase your chances of winning! Good luck! The ship is sailing, so jump aboard now ya landlubbers!